Confounding, Cutthroat Challenges ... For a Good Cause!
   The insiders' edge for 40 Act industry executives!
an InvestmentWires' Publication
Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Confounding, Cutthroat Challenges ... For a Good Cause!

A mutual fund industry cancer charity is gearing up for a fast-approaching virtual fundraiser.

Frank Heavey
Expect Miracles Foundation
Executive Director
Frank Heavey, executive director of the Expert Miracles Foundation (tagline: "Financial Services Against Cancer"), tells MFWire that the Boston-based group is preparing for an upcoming mystery game night next week, which will take place entirely online. Entrants will compete to beat a riddle, puzzle, and research-filled set of obstacles in the smallest amount of time, all in the name of raising money for cancer survivors facing steep financial stresses.

"The event is on March 24th, and as of right now it's sold out," Heavey says. "We currently have fifty teams of three to seven people competing."

Young Professionals Expect Miracles (YPEM), the young people's branch of Expect Miracles, is the driving force behind this mystery game night, and Heavey says the two YPEM teams in Boston and New York are working hard to bring the event to fruition.

"Even though they compete, Boston versus New York, they've joined together in this endeavor to bring in as many people as possible from the industry, and from friends and family. 75 percent of the money generated from this event will go towards [survivor grants], and the remaining 25 percent will go towards funding cancer research."

Towards the beginning of this year, MFWire covered the Expect Miracles team's response to 2020 and all of the challenges COVID-19 has brought with it. Regarding the pandemic's impact on fundraising, Heavey noted times were tough, but not without hope. In January he said, "Our goal when the pandemic broke out in March was to bend and not break, and I think we did that very well."

This week, he gave an update on that front. "We're still in hybrid mode, and our three golf tournaments are still on-course. The first one is the West Coast Classic in Newport Beach, California, on April 29," Heavey says. "We're also still planning on having the Boston Wine and Spirits cocktail gala, and we're planning some events in the fall for New York."

"What matters," he says, "is putting people's safety first, but we're also trying to get companies and individuals to participate in any way they can because the need is greater than ever."

Printed from:

Copyright 2021, InvestmentWires, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Back to Top